The original school, an old flint and cob building, was built in 1859 on the site of the old tithe barn and pond in the centre of the village.  The first school mistress appointed to the school was Miss Eliza Vivian who was assisted by two teachers.  The school grew from these humble beginnings on the same site until 2001 when the school  moved to its present purpose built building to the northern side of the village. 
Some features of the old school were incorporated into the new building.  The flint and cob walls are a feature of the new school's facades.  The school has also retained its school bell which was orignally hung over the school's entrance.  It is thought that the original bell was first removed during the 1914-18 war. The new bell was presented to the school by the Royal Navy from R.M.A.S. Freshburn, and was dedicated to those who lost their lives in the Falklands campaign in 1982.  Since this time the bell called the 'Freedom Bell' is traditionally rung on the last day of term by year 4 children.